So I started this project out with a piece of wood that had actually been cut out for a lazy susan. I found it in the local flooring store dumpster along with a lazy susan.
This piece was actually cut perfectly for making a lazy susan and so it looked like a round piece of wood with a quarter section taken out. But since I was not needing a lazy susan I went ahead and cut the board in half. Leaving me with a decent canvas to work with.
I then mixed up my resin and added my sand to it. Making it pretty thick. But not so thick as to where it wouldn’t spread well. And I took my sand and spread it all along the flat bottom side of my wood piece. Making it appear to be a beach area.
I actually took some of my epoxy spray paint and sprayed it on top of my sand in order to help seal my sand in place, and to give it different colors. I used the darker color around the edges where the water would be coming in and the light colors for the rest of it.
I then added my epoxy resin with green coloring added to it. And then I added some blue at the top. Though it appeared to be very pretty when you looked at it I ended up changing my colors just because it appeared to me as looking like algae would when the green color of the water hit the shoreline. I don’t know whether I am just crazy or if it really was looking like algae, but either way I bailed on the greenish colors that met with my sand.
So I then put a whole thin coat of resin over the entire picture. And then went through with my tinted white resin in thin lines. Which I then used my blow dryer to push the white and clear resin around.
This is to create your appearance of the waves. I am very new to working with epoxy and ocean scenes. So I am still trying to get my waves just right. I always seem to put too much white or something.
So I also did my picture here in layers. Which I think gives you more depth when doing epoxy resin ocean scenery. So what I did was I let my blue and whites dry and then went over them with the clear epoxy and white epoxy. Pushed them around with my blow dryer and then let them cure for another day.
And though I am not done with this piece yet, I figured I would post it and then update it later when I figure out exactly what I want to do with it.
Right now I am still trying to figure out if I want it to be an ocean scene or turn it into the sky with the earth below. Or if I want to make it into a little side table or leave it as a picture. So I will put any updates on here that I decide to do with it.
So I am now posting some updates to my post here of my ocean scene epoxy picture. I have been working on it and trying to get it looking more like an ocean with the waves and the shore. So here are a few of the pictures I have taken of it as I worked on it.
And if anyone has any comments or suggestions on what I should do with it please feel free to leave your comments.
So I wanted to post this update on my ocean scene picture. I finally decided what I wanted to do with it and I did it.
I turned it into a table and I gave it to my daughter for Christmas. It turned out really well I thought. The picture I have showing it isn’t the greatest, because I don’t have the legs painted or anything.
I should have gotten better pictures of it. But it is over and done with. And I was happy with the outcome. So I hope that some of you out there like my ocean scene table I came up with.
And I actually used old table legs from an old table I had laying around outside. I had took it apart to use something or to store it easier. I am not for sure which one lol. But I know I used the legs from the old table I had. And what I did was to drill out holes in the bottom of my piece of wood so that I could push the legs up into the table some before I actually attached them. I knew it would make them more solid. And I definitely needed that!
And before I was able to do that actually, I had to attach another piece of wood to the bottom of my ocean scene wood piece. Because it was too thin to really be able to hollow out anything in the bottom. But with the other piece of wood on the bottom I was then able to hollow out places for my new legs to go into.
So I first tried to just use wood glue. Well that didn’t work out at all. I will just say that I ended up going with some little bitty shelf brackets to hold my legs onto my table top.
This may not have been the right thing that most people do in order to attach some legs. But it ended up working for me. Talk about a rig job by the end of it. But in my defense I was pretty stressed out about how much time I had left to get everything done for Christmas Eve night with my family. So I was really trying to get it all together and be done with everything in time.
Well needless to say I was still late with getting everything done, and I am actually still working on my oldest daughter and her fiancées present! I know it is pitiful! But once again in my defense, it is a memory log and I am totally not at all used to doing this with a tree stump basically. I decided to try something different and see how it worked out. So I am almost done with it and once I am all the way through with it, I will post it on here. Then I can get everyone’s opinions on it. So anyway back to my legs on my table.
I ended up using wood glue first and then I attached my little shelf brackets. One side of them to the leg and the other side to my ocean scene wood. And believe it or not it actually worked out pretty well. My table was very solid and I had no worries about it falling over on someone. So this is definitely a fun type of project that is not all that hard. And the table part turned out really awesome for my family members. So try it out if you have been wanting to try something that has to do with the ocean. And possibly you need a little side table in your home.
So thank you for checking me out and happy projecting!